Page Tabs Home About Recipes Genesis Pure Journey to 13.1

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Homemade Potpourri


A year ago, I got rid of all my Bath and Body Works Wallflowers that I was pretty much addicted to for years.  I went cold turkey. One day unplugged them all, and haven't used them since.  I also don't hardly ever burn candles unless we just really have something going on in here.  I made that choice for the health and true cleanliness of our home.  When I was introduced to Norwex, I started researching about lots of products in the common home and was determined to rid our house of all the chemicals I could.  I like to say our house is mostly a chemical free home but  there are still a few areas that needs some work.

Now that we don't use any air fresheners there are still those times when I just want our house to have a smell.  I have been seeing some Homemade Potpourri recipes and just had to try some for myself.

I decided to do oranges and vanilla.  I love the clean citrus smell of oranges and absolutely love everything vanilla so they should be great together right?

Here's what I did:
-I cut up 2 little cuties with the rind still on, put them in a saucepan.
-Then added 3 tsp vanilla.
-Brought to a boil, then let it simmer for the morning.



 It smelled wonderful and did fill the house with the scent.   I could really smell the vanilla.  I think I would even be just fine with boiling a little vanilla because that scent alone is like heaven to me.

What about you, have you ever made any homemade potpourri or something similar?





2 comments:

  1. i've never thought about that before, but what i great idea! i've done the "realtor" trick (supposedly, no idea if that part is true or not) - sprinkle cinnamon on a cookie sheet and put it in the oven on low heat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done oranges, vanilla, and cinnamon boiled together! This totally got rid of my burnt black bean smell!

    ReplyDelete