Page Tabs Home About Recipes Genesis Pure Journey to 13.1

Thursday, May 30, 2013

My First Tabata

I don't know about you but I keep hearing all these new workout and fitness terms and have had no clue what most of them are.  I started doing some research on the newer ones and most recently really started hearing about Tabata.  Since I am one of those weird people that really do enjoy working out I thought I would give a Tabata workout a try.  My husband is still out of town so after the boys have gone to bed the last few days it's been really quiet around here.

If you haven't heard of Tabata or have and aren't sure what it is, here is the jist.

Tabata is a type of HIIT training.  HIIT stands for High Intensity Interval Training.
I have fallen in love with HIIT training from doing Turbo Fire.  I never really got into all the other workouts in the problem but have done the HIT's a lot.  HIIT's are great because you burn not only a lot of calories during your workout but after as well.  Shorter workout, burn more calories, YES please!

What makes a HIIT a Tabata workout is that you do 20 seconds of intense workout with 10 seconds rest in a four minute round.

I found this awesome article on Fit Sugar and it even gives you a free printable workout, and multiple free Tabata workouts to do in your home without ANY equipment.  So the other night I simply decided to get up off the couch and try one.  The one I did was 10 minutes ( it was #2 on the list I have linked above).   I figured I have been running, I do lots of cardio,  I got this.

I'm not going to lie,  I feel like I'm semi-fit but this was challenging.  It was short but I was SWEATY and hard up for breath.  However I still loved it.  I love pushing myself and reaching new goals.  I'm definitely going to be doing these more often.   I think  I will do the same workout I did some more until I feel better about my quality of the moves then will after my race will move into some of the longer Tabata workouts by adding more rounds.

Have you tried Tabata?
If so what do you think Love or Hate?

If you are wanting to get into a workout regimen and are hard up for time, I highly suggest you try adding something like this into your day because it's quick, you can do as many rounds as you want, and they can be done anywhere.





No comments:

Post a Comment